Closing Date: Sunday 27th November 2022
Interview Date: Thursday 8th December 2022
Grade/Salary: Grade 5 – SCP 33 – 41 (£39,493.00 - £47,573)
Term: 2-year Fixed term contract
Politically Restricted: Yes
Welsh Language essential: No. The ability to speak and write fluently is desirable for this role.
About the Role
The Finance Manager post is an important dual role within the WLGA: working with local authorities on a range of finance related issues, and overseeing the corporate finances of the Association. The Welsh Government’s programme for government has significant implications for local government finances. This will pose significant challenges in a devolved setting the expenditure pressures faced by local government are likely to be significant. The WLGA will need to work closely with the local government finance community to provide the best advice on our funding strategy over the next 3 to 4 years. The role will also require the post holder oversee the corporate finances of the WLGA itself. The WLGA’s £30m budget funds the priorities determined by the WLGA Executive. It is a small but complex organisation with over 20 teams funded externally and keeping a corporate financial grip around this is a key part of the role. The post-holder will co-ordinate and prepare papers for the WLGA Audit Committee.
The purpose of this post is to:
- be one the main contacts for local authorities on all matters relating to local government finance and provide advice, briefings, and reports to elected members, primarily those who sit on the WLGA Executive Board and WLGA Council, and act as a strategic link between officer networks such as the Society of Welsh Treasurers.
- support local authorities to strengthen their approach to medium-term financial planning.
- support local authorities to manage changes in funding and new income streams such as the proposed visitor levy.
- support and enable authorities to prepare for changes - shaping policy with governments at Wales (and UK) level, and as far as is practicable, take positive steps to mitigate any negative impacts.
- lead in the preparation of the WLGA budget’s working with the Strategic Management Team and the finance team to ensure priorities are funded and that financial control and accountability is paramount in a complex organisation.
For an initial discussion about the role and the organisation, please contact Jon Rae, Director of Resources on 07979 018007.
To apply, please send a covering letter with a completed application form by the closing date of Sunday 27th November 2022 to: email@example.com
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview on Thursday 8th December 2022.
Shortlisted applicants may be requested to undertake a task before attending for interview, as well as pre-interview tasks on the day, followed by an interview with a selection panel.
The successful candidate will be required to provide evidence of identity and eligibility to work in the UK.