Phase IV Cardiac Rehabilitation provides an opportunity for patients to access a high quality supervised exercise programme, with the aim of encouraging long-term participation in physical activity.
The Welsh Exercise Referral Scheme has been based on best practice from the UK, current evidence base, and to operate to National Standards. The scheme has been supported by the Welsh Assembly Government, working in partnership with the British Association for Cardiac Rehabilitation (BACR), Local Authorities, the National Public Health Service and Local Health Boards. (LHB’s)
The Principal Aims Of The Scheme
- To offer a systematic and safety controlled system of referral to Phase IV exercise from Phase III Cardiac Rehab.
- To offer a systematic and safety controlled system of referral to independent exercise from Phase IV Cardiac Rehab.
- To provide a safe and effective Phase IV Cardiac Rehab that complies with National standards.
- To improve physical and mental health and wellbeing of patients.
- To increase the long-term adherence in physical activity of patients.
All protocols used on the scheme represent the best known practice and meet with current national guidelines. All exercise professionals operating the scheme are trained to NVQ Level 3 have a qualification that meets occupational standard D449 working with referred patients, a BACR Phase IV qualification, are suitable insured and registered with Register of Exercise Professionals (REP’S). All protocols have been discussed with BACR, Exercise Referral Cardiac Network.
The scheme is targeted at cardiac patients that have been through a clinical Phase III cardiac rehabilitation, the scheme uses suitably qualified exercise professionals and protocols to enable rehabilitation to be delivered locally and safely, thus there are inclusion and exclusion criteria. It will be the responsibility of the Coordinator to check the referrals received meet the criteria and inform the referrer if they are ineligible. If the condition of the client changes during the scheme and they are no longer eligible the exercise professional should inform the coordinator so appropriate action can be taken.
- The inclusion criteria is designed to ensure that clients are matched with the correct level of exercise professional
- All exercise professionals within the scheme will complete specially designed BACR Phase IV qualification that meets national standards.
- All exercise professionals working within the scheme will be registered with Register of Exercise Professionals and have appropriate insurance.